We have a new favorite dish in our house. It’s comfort food-esque, but made without cream soups; so it is healthier. I came upon it one night by combining 3 different recipes I’d seen when I found myself with a variety of different leftovers in my fridge. It’s pretty labor intensive, so I try to do it on a Saturday or on Taylor’s day off when I can spend a bit more time in the kitchen and do bits and pieces of it throughout the day. Plus it makes an excellent leftover Sunday lunch! So, instead of showing you the three different recipes I’m gonna write a “new” recipe to show my way. :) Enjoy!
Cheesy Chicken, Bacon, Rice Casserole
2-3 chicken breasts
1 package of bacon (we are loving the Hormel No Additives Bacon right now!)
4 cups cheddar cheese
4 cups cooked rice (2 cups uncooked) – I use long grain brown rice
2 cups milk
2 Tbs butter
2 Tbs flour
Your choice veggies (my favorite in this dish are zucchini and carrots)
1. Cook chicken in your favorite method. I like to use a crock pot since it’s easy and makes the chicken juicy and flavorful. I do put a little seasoning on the chicken while it cooks. When it is finished, cut into bite size pieces.
2. Cook bacon until crispy. After cooled, crumbled.
3. Cook 2 cups of uncooked rice in 2 cups water + 3 cups chicken broth that has been brought to a boil. (Amount on liquid based on using 2 cups of uncooked brown rice) Yields 4 cups cooked rice.
4. Cook your veggies per your preference. I love to slice mine, sprinkle them with a little olive oil or melted butter, plus salt and pepper and roast them at 425 for about 10 minutes or so. You could also sautee them on the stove and use a little onion and garlic for flavor.
5. In a large mixing bowl, place the cut-up chicken, crumbled bacon, and cooked veggies. Set aside for later.
6. In a sauce pan, melt 2 Tbs. butter. Add 3 Tbs. flour to melted butter to create a roux. After that cooks for a min or two, add the 2 cups of milk. Stir constantly. Add onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste. When the white sauce has thickened, turn off the heat and add 2 cups of the cheddar cheese. Stir until it melts.
7. Add cooked rice to the cheese sauce and stir until coated evenly.
8. Add the cheesy rice to the mixing bowl with the chicken, bacon, and veggies. Mix all together.
9. Transfer to a 9×13 casserole dish. Top with the last 2 cups of cheddar cheese.
10. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes until the edges are bubbly and it’s heated through.
11. Enjoy this yummy one dish supper!
This recipe serves at least 6. It makes a very large amount. :)